Going on vacation is a nice way to get away from it all and have fun. It can also be an energy-sapping experience with troubled times. Each time I travel, I pack a few extra items for my trip that helps make things go a lot easier and allows me to have time to relax. Here are some of my top 10 travel accessories you need to get now and take advantage of.
10 Travel Accessories You Need to Get Now
1. Digital Camera – This is actually a must for any trip. How many times have you been to a place where you saw something you want to take a picture of, but you didn’t have a camera to do it with – or you take a picture and you get home only to find out the picture didn’t turn out right? Sometimes you even run out of space on your phone to snap a real quick photo, which drives me nuts!
Digital cameras allow you to see the picture right away, so you have time to try again if needed. Don’t get anything too expensive or bulky, just a small cheaper one will do.
2. Personal grooming bag – Grooming bags help keep all of your items together in one place instead of you having to rummage through different suitcases to find one item. It also eliminates problems with getting make-up or other substances on your clothes. Sometimes I use small Zip-lock bags as a separate compartment for several things, then put them all in one grooming bag.
3. Travel alarm clock – While most of us have smartphones, some still need their own alarm clock. If you need to get up at certain times while on your trip, use a travel alarm clock. This is less intrusive than the annoying wake up calls from the front desk. It also lets you take a cat nap and will wake you up when needed so you still have time to enjoy your vacation, instead of falling asleep and waking up hours later.
4. Compressor bags for clothes – This is an awesome accessory to have. These bags are stuffed with your clothes and then the air is sucked out of them, leaving you with a compact bag.
It enables you to have more room in your suitcases and they protect your clothes. When you need an item of clothing, all you need to do is open up the bag and get it. The amazing part is that they don’t wrinkle the clothes.
5. Fanny pack – I know what you’re thinking, “A fanny pack?” Yep, these are nice to have to keep your money and credit cards in. It eliminates the need for purses and you don’t have to worry as much about losing your wallet or purse. For women, it frees them up to move around instead of having to struggle with a purse strap always coming down. Plus, there are more trendy pieces you can find without looking so “old school.” 🙂
6. Travel first aid kits – These are perfect for those minor emergencies that occur on the drive to your destination spot or even while you’re there exploring or hiking. Buying them on the road can be costly, so bring your own and save that money for something else.
7. Sunglasses – This is one accessory I always bring with me, no matter if it’s rain or shine. You’ll never know when the weather is going to change wherever you’re traveling to, and it saves you the hassle of buying the cheap ones off the street or in the stores. Even if you just need it for one day, wearing your own pair of sunnies is much better.
8. Notebook – Bringing a notebook can help document your trips visually, or note particular places you just love. It creates a traveling journal and helps you remember all the fun you’ve had. I usually bring one and like writing about my adventures.
9. Empty Water Bottle – How many times have you forgotten that the airport does not allow you to take in a bottle of water? What do you do? I bring an empty water bottle, and fill it up at the airport after going through security or customs. It saves a lot of money and for those who travel often, knows that water is not cheap!
10. Watch – Wearing a watch is always helpful. If you have an alarm on your watch, I suppose you can ditch the travel alarm. For some reason I always stare at my watch because I do not like missing flights. Always knowing the time is good when traveling.
Traveling can be hard, but if you bring along some accessories, they can make things go a lot smoother for you. It may mean a few more things you have to pack, but it can be well worth the space and effort in the long run.