I need to seriously follow my own advice on today’s tip! I work so much, I lack serious time to sleep, which can me unhappy and cranky the next day. Would you say that you get enough sleep? Here are some great tips to get better sleep tonight!
So you think you get enough sleep? If you answered yes, how about these questions: Do you wake up feeling refreshed? Do you drink lots of coffee to get you through the day? Most adults (including myself) don’t get enough sleep as they should. The recommended amount is 7-9 hours. But, with all of our busy lives, it can be a challenge making time for a good nights rest. The truth is that we have to put sleep first. Without doing this, we may unintentionally cause the following:
* Weight gain
* Worsened immune system
* Increased risk of depression and anxiety
* Increased risk of heart disease and cancer
The great news is that it’s so easy to turn this bad habit around. I know it can be tempting to squeeze that last bit of work in or read just a few more chapters of a riveting book, but by putting sleep first, you will be able to accomplish much more the next day. Here are 7 tips to get better sleep:
- Just turn the light off (sounds so simple, but it’s not!)
- Set a bedtime and stick to it.
- Avoid electronics before bed (TV, computer, phone, etc.). The light stimulates your senses.
- Do something relaxing- like meditation or taking a warm bath. It’ll soothe your entire body.
- Exercise regularly to relieve stress and tension.
- Avoid caffeine hours before bedtime, you don’t want to stay up, you want to SLEEP.
- My nights became much more peaceful when I finally invested in a good pillow. Consider even trying a body pillow! You can position them in a number of ways, and I found that simply laying on my side, hugging the pillow through the night did the trick. But, also be sure to replace your pillows overtime.