As we ring in the New Year, endless thoughts of resolutions seem to come to mind in how to make this next year more successful. Do you want to be prepared for the new year? We plan, we make goals, and we make resolutions. I am taking the New Year planning process serious this year and have made a list of 11 areas that I want to make a concerted effort to improve. These areas of mine are pretty general, so I hope they will inspire you.
This post may contain affiliate links for your convenience. Please read my disclosure policy here.
Please feel free to turn these goals into your own goals for the new year!
Be Prepared for the New Year with these 11 Tips
Goal 1: Budget
Reassess your family financial goals. Think about both the short term (1 year) and the longer terms (5+ year). What do you want to accomplish this year? Have you ever considered making a 5 year plan? Write these goals down into a journal that you will use from year to year. You should take a peek at your goals each month and see how you are doing. As part of your financial plan, always consider that dreaded tax bill too.
Goal 2: Health
In the beginning of each year, I always see a herd of people coming to the gym. Then, it starts to kind of fade throughout the year.
If this is the year for you to make exercise a goal, find a workout partner. The two of you can keep each other motivated and reach your destination of healthy.
If you are like me and plan to eat healthier, planning out your meals each week on paper is a plus. That way, you can get groceries for the whole week and make up your weeknight meals on the prior weekend. If you have food made when you get home from work, you are less likely to scavenge in the pantry or freezer for those unhealthy options. You are also less likely to call take-out!
Be sure to grab my 7 Secrets of a Healthy Eating Lifecycle Checklist!
Goal 3: Career Goals
Similar to your financial goals, you should consider your career goals in both the short term and long term. Make at least 1 goal for this year and map out the exact steps you need for you to get there.
My goals last year were to get my new website up and running and to become a better blogger. I started an online blogging course, Elite Blogging Academy, a year ago October and it’s been the best investment I’ve made in quite some time.
Goal 4: Education
This goes hand and hand with #3, but this can also be fun education, too. Take up some dance classes with your husband, learn how to play a new instrument, take a cooking class, or even try a few creative DIY projects. Anything that keeps your brain pumping is good!
Goal 5: Join Clubs
Clubs are another way to get yourself out there and mingle with like-minded people. Check out my local MeetUp group called Sacramento Professionals End Overwhelm Be Happy Now. It’s nice to connect with new people so you don’t lose your fabulous ways in socializing.
I enjoy the book club we have at work and they inspire me to read more books. Starting a book club is easy and a lot of fun!
Goal 6: Resolutions
I really hate this word and prefer the word goal. But nonetheless, people make resolutions each January 1st. While this goes with #2 above, I resolve to improve my diet and make clean eating a way of life.
Don’t miss out on taking your free Happiness Quiz!
Goal 7: Family/Home Goals
Do you have any major home projects you want to accomplish? Take these projects into consideration when you create your budget in #1 above.
We did many home projects last year and I was hoping to have the doors to my office added by the end of this year, but it’s not gonna happen. It’s okay if you can’t accomplish (or afford to accomplish) everything you may want; you can always have projects carryover from last year into this new year.
Do you have any other family goals? We finally updated our living will. It took me having surgery late last year to realize it was needed.
Goal 8: Family Traditions
Create new traditions (or continue with existing ones). You should think about weekly or monthly traditions that you can have fun doing, such as date-night with the husband or visiting a new park each month with the kids.
Goal 9: Personal Goals
Do you have anything you would like to personally accomplish? Do you want to read more?
For me, I want to write more. I have tried to make time to write 250 words a day, but the reality is that I write more on the weekend. Adjust your personal goals to be realistic.
Goal 10: Travel
Plan family trips or day outings. Make the time to see wonder in every day. You don’t have to leave the city where you live to “travel”.
Goal 11: Create a planner
I personally use the bullet journal approach. I love this journal. It keeps me on track and since memory seems to fade with age, I need the help to stay focused! And it always feels good to check off that list. 🙂
Happy Near Year! Please share any tips you have for planning in the New Year in the comments below.
This post was part of a large New Year’s collaboration last year on How to Make this the Best Year Ever! Check out these other awesome blog posts that can still inspire your new year!
1. How to Set and Keep Goals to Make This the Best Year Ever | Jen @ Girl in Garage
2. 15 Ways to Stay Organised at Work During 2015 | Elizabeth Harrin @ A Girl’s Guide to Project Management
3. How Personal Style Will Help You Achieve Goals Faster in 2015 | Cherene Francis @ Aura Image Consulting
4. Completing Those Unfinished Projects in the NEW YEAR | Angela Lerew @ Unexpected Elegance
5. 42 Ways to Practice Perfectly & Become an Expert at Almost Anything | Amy Garro @ 13 Spools
6. Easy Exercises to do on a Cruise Ship | Amanda Woods @ Adventures All Around
7. 10 Simple Ways to Eat Healthier This Year | Dawn @ Reveal Natural Health
8. 31 Days to a More Fabulous You | Julie Bonner @ Mom Fabulous
9. How to Make This the Best Gardening Year Ever | Kendra Spencer @ a Sonoma Garden
10. 5 Ways to Make this Your Best Monarch Season…Ever! | Tony Gomez @ Monarch Butterfly Garden
11. 12 Scriptures for Goals and Guidance | Julie @ Loving Christ Ministries
12. How to Build a Starter Emergency Fund in 30 Days or Less | Jackie Beck @ The Debt Myth
13. Family Verse of the Week Challenge for 2015 | Jamie Yonash @ Life is Sweeter By Design
14. Hot Work at Home Jobs for 2015 | Holly Hanna @ The Work at Home Woman
15. A Year of Intention | Hilary Bernstein @ Accidentally Green
16. 2015: Our Best Year Yet | Ashley @ Leaving the Rut
17. Create a Better Life Story | Bronwen Warner @ Tummy Time and Beyond
18. Get Ready to Get MDfit | Tom and Anne @ Eat & Be Fit
19. 5 Free Ways to Learn Something New This Year | Sarah Fuller @ Earning and Saving with Sarah Fuller
20. Healthy Leek Soup | Mirlandra @ Mirlandra’s Kitchen
21. Health Resolutions: Baby Steps to a New You | Ellen Christian @ Confessions of an Overworked Mom
22. 5 Ways Busy Moms Can Get Motivated to Work Out | Diane Nassy @ philZENdia
23. Be Prepared for the New Year | Jennifer Dunham Starr @ The Memory Journalists
24. 3 Steps to a Healthier Life in 2015 | Joe Goodwill @Average Joe Cyclist
25. New Year’s Resolution: Cook More Often! | Kim Pawell @ Something New for Dinner
26. I Should What? 28 Ways to be Happier | Karen Young @ Hey Sigmund
27. 9 Ways to Get Healthier In The New Year | Amy Maus @ Home and Farm Sense
28. In 2015 Resolve to Take Control of Your Money | Kristia @ Family Balance Sheet
29. Eucharisteo: A Year of Thanksgiving | Lani Padilla @ Simply Fresh Vintage
30. No More Tears at IEP Meetings: Make This Your Best Year Ever! | Lisa Lightner @ A Day In Our Shoes
31. Learn to Save Money on Groceries | Melissa Buckles @ Everyday Savvy
32. How to Achieve Your New Years Resolution – For Real This Time! | Michelle @ Dishes and Dust Bunnies
33. 52 Weeks to a Better You: Week 1 – Go to Bed Early | Mindi Cherry @ Moms Need to Know
34. Food Street: How a Community Has Joined Forces to Start a Street Farm | Sam Walker @ Bubble ‘N Squeak
35. Organizing Coupons with the Binder Method | Sara Steigerwald @ Sisters Shopping on a Shoe String
36. How to Make This Year the Happiest Yet | Shambray @ Shambray.com
37. A New Year, A New You | Sharon Rowe @ How to Get Organized at Home
38. 5 Ways to Get Paid for Losing Weight This Year | Anna @ Real Ways to Earn Money at Home
39. Tips for Successful Whole30 | Deanna Michaels @ From This Kitchen Table
40. 75 Ways to Be Healthier in 2015 | Maryea Flaherty @ Happy Healthy Mama
41. How to Make 2015 the Best Year Ever! | Jennifer @ My Boys & Their Toys
Fashion Resolutions: How to Add Style to Any Outfit | Ellen Christian @ The Socialite’s Closet