Do you get impatient when you have to wait in line at the bank or sit for an extra hour at the doctor’s office? Instead of getting frustrated with wait time, put that time to good use. As you look over your daily to-do list, identify places that you are likely to have to wait and start to use waiting time productively .
This post may contain affiliate links for your convenience. Please read my disclosure policy here.
How to Use Waiting Time Productively
We all have to wait at some point in life. Sometimes it’s for a meeting to start or for the next business phone call. But those little chunks of waiting time have the ability to really increase your productivity.
Having a planner is a great way to be productive in small time increments. There’s almost always more planning that needs to happen and whether it’s digital or an old fashioned pen and paper type, you’ll sure to feel better about your waiting time when you keep it handy.
Keep something in your car or briefcase that you would enjoy doing while waiting. Perhaps it’s catching up on popular magazines or business journals.
Here are ten ways to use waiting time productively and make the time pass faster:
- Read a motivational book that will change your mindset in ways that will empower you to reach new goals.
- Scan the directions to a building project or clothing pattern and get the process firmly in mind before you start to cut.
- Bring a pile of coupon pages collected from several weeks of newspapers. As you clip the coupons, add in the proper tab of a coupon file.
- Plan what you need for a birthday party, barbeque or other social event that you are hosting or coordinating.
- Review ideas for increasing productivity in a small area of your business.
- Brainstorm the next big project. Come up with some questions to ask your planning team.
- Look at your family’s calendar and plan time together.
- Download a podcast onto your Mp3 player. Instead of just music, choose a podcast topic that you want to learn about and listen to it with ear-buds.
- Use your day planner to make a to-do list for next week.
- Just be! Enjoy the place you are in in life today!
Bring your own “on hold” activities so that wait time becomes productive and seems to go by faster.