What’s on the menu today? Ham and cheese melt that will melt your mouth away. Use simple ingredients to make a delicious lunch or hearty dinner.
Ham and Cheese Melt
One thing I always like to do is add extra ingredients into my sandwiches to not make it so basic, or boring. When there’s more, it also allows you to only eat half instead of the whole sandwich. Save the other half for leftover lunch the next day or share with your spouse or friend.
I added cooked chicken breast and left out the mustard since I’m not a big fan. I also served it with slices of pickles, and hot banana pepper rings.
- 8 slices French bread, each about 1/2-inch thick
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 4 teaspoons Dijon mustard (optional)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 4 thin slices good quality ham, such as Black Forest
- Pre-cooked chicken breast (optional)
- 4 ounces sliced Gruyere, Swiss or Monterrey Jack
- 1 small can hot banana pepper rings (optional)
- Whole or sliced Pickle (optional)
- Place all of the bread slices on a flat work surface. Using a butter knife or small rubber spatula, spread 1 side of each slice with some of the softened butter. Use 1/2 of the butter for this and you'll need the rest later.
- Turn over 4 slices of the bread and spread the unbuttered sides of 2 of the bread slices with the mustard, and the other 2 slices with the honey.
- For each sandwich, fold 1 ham slice on top of the mustard spread and top with 1/4 of the sliced Gruyere cheese. Cover with the remaining 4 bread slices, making sure that the buttered sides face out. You will have 4 sandwiches.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and melt 1 tablespoon of the butter in the skillet. Transfer the sandwiches to the skillet and cook until golden brown on the bottom, about 2 minutes. Turn and add the remaining tablespoon of butter to the skillet. Cook the sandwiches until the cheese has melted and the second side is golden brown, about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes. Remove the sandwiches from the pan and serve immediately.
This is one filling sandwich you won’t regret! Enjoy!