If you’re looking for something crunchy and super tasty, try this Mexican Frito Casserole recipe. It’s full of flavor, and your kids will love it. I have modified it and use shredded chicken instead of beef. And, instead of the chili cheese Fritos, I use the unsalted tortilla chips from Trader Joes, which is quite excellent!
When I think about flavors, I also think about how healthy it is. So, remember that you can always modify certain ingredients if it’s just too much.
- 4 pieces of chicken breast, cooked and shredded
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 (16 ounce) can chili beans
- 1 (15.25 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 (10 ounce) container fresh restaurant-style salsa
- 1 (4 ounce) can sliced black olives
- 1 (1 ounce) package taco seasoning
- 1 bag of Unsalted tortilla chips (from Trader Joe's) or (10.5 ounce) bag chili cheese flavored corn chips (such as Fritos(R)), crushed
- 2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Boil chicken until cooked and tender, drain water and shred.
- Stir chili beans, corn, salsa, olives, and taco seasoning into chicken mixture and simmer until heated through and flavors blend, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Spread about 2/3 the crushed corn chips into a baking dish and top with the beef mixture. Sprinkle remaining chips over chicken.
- Bake in the preheated oven until bubbly, about 25 minutes. Sprinkle with Mexican cheese blend and continue baking until cheese is melted, about 10 minutes more.
© 2021 Copyright Living5x5
Recipe Courtesy of Sandy and allrecipes.com.