People with high emotional intelligence (EI) can perceive subtle emotional cues.
They read body language, understand context, and respond in appropriate, helpful ways.
This invaluable skill fosters powerful communication and connection.
But it doesn’t mean that a person with high EI can read minds.
This post may contain affiliate links for your convenience. Please read my disclosure policy here.
We can never know with complete certainty what someone else is thinking.
Making assumptions or educated guesses only creates barriers.
The easiest way to get a clear picture? Ask.
The questions you ask and the way you ask them matter.
Here are some tips to encourage valuable feedback and authentic answers.
Give Them Notice
Some people aren’t comfortable sharing their thoughts without reflecting first.
An impromptu Q&A can put them on edge.
Set up a time to chat informally and let them know the general theme of the conversation: “I’m looking at ways to improve the website. I’d like to get your thoughts on it.”
Get Into Specifics
Avoid general questions that put people on the spot and only leave room for yes/no answers: “Do you like the new website?”
Instead, invite conversation with questions like: “If you had to pick one thing about the website that you’d change, what would it be?”
Click on the image below to take your free assessment to understand your unique brilliance!
Don’t Shoot Down Ideas
Unless completely harmful or negative, don’t immediately reject the other person’s statements or ideas.
Offer a sincere ‘thank you’ and leave it at that.
This builds trust and increases their comfort with you.
Put your phone down and give the person in front of you your undivided attention.
Don’t interrupt them.
And when the opportunity presents itself, paraphrase what they’ve said so they know you understand.
Interested in more ways to balance your life and your business? Join my FREE Facebook Group – Time Money & Happiness Matters!
Pin and save for later!
Check out these other posts on emotional intelligence:
- The #1 Skill Of Emotionally Intelligent People
- The 7 Things Emotionally Intelligent People NEVER Do
- How Do You Know If You’re Being Assertive Or Aggressive?
- The One Thing Emotionally Intelligent People Do Before Making Big Decisions
- How To Read Body Language In The Digital Age
- Boost Emotional Intelligence By Doing THIS For 10 Minutes A Day
- This Might Be The Fastest Way To Boost Emotional Intelligence
- How Emotional Intelligence Can Help You Navigate Major Change
- How To Stay Calm When Someone Hits A Nerve